Lytham is the oldest of the Fylde Coast seaside resorts, it is recorded in the doomsday Book (1086) where the name is spelt 'LIDUN'. At that time the area belonged to Count Roger of Poitou. Around 100 years later Lytham was the property of Richard Fitzroger, who gave Lytham to the monks of Durham. The monks built a priory (believed to have been on the site now occupied by Lytham Hall) but ownership was forfeited in 1536 when King Henry VIII decreed all such religious institutions should be abolished.
Sir Thomas Halcraft was the next owner, he sold the land to Richard Molineuxin (1597). Nine years later Sir Molineuxin sold to Cuthbert Clifton of Westby, and so began an affiliation between Lytham and the Clifton family that was to last 350 years.
The first visitors to Lytham probably arrived in the later years of the 18th century, traveling by road through Kirkham or in summer by water, down the River ribble from Preston. They would have stayed in houses assembled around what is now the eastern end of Clifton Street or in hotels - The Wheatsheaf (which is now Pizza Express & the Royal Bank of Scotland) or the Clifton Arms or the County both of which were built by the late 1800 and are still serving the community today.
1856 saw the opening of a branch railway line and this made the town more assessable to visitors. By this time Lytham had developed from a village into a seaside resort with more houses, hotels, churches, schools public houses and of course shops. The overall control of the Clifton family meant that despite its growth Lytham retained a character and charm of its own. Something it still holds today.
Lytham is situated about four miles south of Blackpool, on the coast where the River Ribble Estuary meets the Irish Sea.
The area can be reached by the M55, or by the A584 from Preston.
Lytham is served by a train line that links Blackpool South to Colne, through Preston. There are also frequent buses connecting the local, surrounding area.